Validation rules define restrictions to make sure newly entered data meets your organization’s requirements for posting a transaction. These Validation Rules replace the ineffective Dimension Combinations to make restrictions work. Examples include:
- Restrict dimensions to GL accounts
- Restrict vendors and customers to document types
- Restrict users to specific or a specific range of vendors, customers, or GL accounts
You can reach the setup card for a Validation Rule by double-clicking on the rule name in the Validations Rules List. The Validation Rule card has two tabs:
- General – where you enter or edit the Validation Rule number, describe the purpose of the rule, establish the effective date of the rule (leaving the effective date blank will result in the rule being effective always) and a toggle switch to turn the rule on or off manually. When you want toggle the switch to the “on” position be sure to check that the rule has been verified first.
- Validation Rule Details – This tab helps you set the correct filters for your rule. The left side is for targeting the data elements you are evaluating (bank account number, department code, fund number, etc.), while the right side sets the requirement for the transaction to post.
Once set, the validation rule will make sure your colleagues do not accidentally post a transaction to the wrong account.combination.