Your fund accounting experience within Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central has been expanded with the the User Setup Page. This page offers you the ability to filter pages and reports to display only relevant data for users or user groups. The users will only see what’s important to them in their daily use of Fundamentals. Also use this page to set allowable posting dates and user permissions.
Before administering the User Setup Page be sure to set up your users according to Business Central Guidelines. Be sure you understand the licensing of your users. Your Users are the people who will be entering data, running reports, reviewing purchase orders and more in your system. These are the people you work with every day and who will most likely have specific tasks to do in your Fundamentals software. The primary licensing for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business is assigned on a “named user” basis, meaning each user requires a separate User SL (User Software License) named user subscription. Generally, Microsoft licenses Users with three main user purposes:
- Full Users -users whose work requires use of the feature rich business applications functionality. Examples of full users are finance employees, controllers and development directors. These users have also been referred to in the past as Professional users or Power Users. These full users are licensed with a Dynamics 365 Business Central subscription.
- Team Users -often represent a significant percentage of users in an organization and may consume data or reports from line of business systems, complete light tasks like time or expense entry and HR record updates or be heavier users of the system, but not require full user capabilities. These additional users are licensed with Dynamics 365 Business Central Team Members.
- External Users = these identify users you wish tp record data against without providing any access to the software. E.g. Recording expense reports for users who enter thair repots in an external system such as Expensify, then can connect into Vendor or Employee records to process expense reimbursements in the payables are.
To setup your Users in the Fundamentals User Setup Card, please follow these steps:
- Be sure that every user is setup in the User Card. Then the User Setup card replaces the Approver User Setup list page in Business Central.
- Go to the User Setup Card. Administration > Users > Process > User Setup. There are 3 tabs on this page:
- General – where you set up standard User profile information. Hovering on each field name will offer additional explanation and meaning.
- Data Permissions/Restrictions Here is where you can set up the filters that determine what users see in their daily work. Select the Column Name that you want to filter, and preview the results of that filter. As with all of Dynamics Business Central, your work will automatically be saved for you. You can verify this by looking at the top right of your screen where the word “saved” shows with a check-mark by it.
- Default Dimensions – This is where you’ll setup what shows as default fund and dimension values during data entry for the user to enforce organizational policies and to speed up data entry.
- Permissions – This is the section that sets dates for posting to Fixed Asset journals.